New pi-topOS release — June 2021 (C790 2021-06-11)

I would say that the issue is that you are missing the POWER_OFF_ON_HALT parameter. I think the best course of action here is to ensure that it’s always there when we patch. The checking still seems to be fine.

Mike >> All | Thx all for assistance - I will sort on Saturday (the system runs the house UniFi Controller and we are working from home Friday so action today is “unwise”) and report steps to success here

Regards

Mike (bottom of world)

Can I manually add the POWER_OFF_ON_HALT parameter? If so please provide instructions.

I also tried the same logic I used for the Expansion Plate Update, I thought it might work, but it didn’t. Although when I clicked on the Update and Reboot it didn’t reposition itself like previously and the Pi-Top[4] rebooted immediately, but the EEPROM Update warning message reappeared - ran health_check and the POWER_OFF_ON_HALT parameter wasn’t there and WAKE_ON_GPIO=1.

1 Pi-Top[4] 8GB updated and 1 Pi-Top[4] 4GB not so much.

It’ll be easier for us to just modify the updater to account for this case. I’ll try and get that out for you tomorrow!

If you want to try this out for me, replace /usr/lib/pt-system-tools/pt-eeprom with the contents of this: https://github.com/pi-top/pt-os-core/blob/force-config-entry/src/pt-eeprom

This should ensure that the value is included in the configuration file. You can see the diff here

@pi-topMike Copied the contents of pt-eeprom from github to the provided location on the pi-top[4]. Rebooted and the warning message no longer appears. Ran pi-top support health_check received the following:

Will health_check display the POWER_OFF_ON_HALT parameter? If the answer is no I guess it is fixed.
Please advise.

@pi-topMIKE // All - unfortunately I’m with @Korbendallaz - I followed the recommendations at
https://knowledgebase.pi-top.com/knowledge/rpi-eeprom-update… which @pi-topMIKE updated … I followed each set - just for diagnostics. … each time I rebooted I got

A pi-top support health_check reveals

i.e. both
WAKE_ON_GPIO=1
POWER_OFF_ON_HALT=0

I can then run:
sudo /usr/lib/pt-system-tools/pt-eeprom -f … returning the flipped params:

… but these evaporate after reboot - returning the wrong pair.

In “desperation” I then followed the github root as per @Korbendallaz … all the same - still reboots to wrong set! … but the pi is running fine for me … battery will no charge above 44%, but it is now old

Must be getting the wrong eeprom from somewhere on my file system?

hey @nannerbm60 !

I can confirm that there are issues patching the EEPROM when using a device that boots from a USB drive. I have captured this issue in here https://github.com/pi-top/pt-os-core/issues/27 so we’ll take a look into it in the future.

The solution for now would be to boot using an SD card and apply the EEPROM patch from there, or if you want to get rid of that notification for now, you can disable the systemd service that triggers it by running sudo systemctl disable pt-eeprom-manager. This will prevent the service from running every boot.

Dear @pi-topJorge and other folk. … I see that a new BOOTLOADER version (2 Dec) is available. … My pi-top is still running the 29 APR version

I am booting from a SSD USB … what do I need to do to update to the new bootloader? (raspi-config doesn’t seem to “do” the update with the USB). What are the disadvantages of running the old version? … is looks like the rpi-eeprom is reporting the latest version

Thx