Pi-top [3] A311D upgrade : Libre Computer Alta (Cottonwood series)

Sorry @butonic, not sure how I managed to confuse your reply about using Debian Bullseye as your base (for Raspbian), rather than Bookworm…so of course my above comment doesn’t apply :man_facepalming:

More progress, thanks to user gauntlett114’s testing!

" I’ve installed it before reading this message:

1. Cloned the wiring tool repo - git clone https://github.com/libre-computer-project/libretech-wiring-tool.git
  2. Install debhelper - sudo apt install debhelper
  3. Invoke ./build.sh
  4. Invoke sudo ./install.sh
  5. Issue i2c enablement command - sudo ldto enable i2c-2
    5.1 If you want it to be permanent, issue the following command sudo ldto merge

Test that is works:

~/src/libretech-wiring-tool (master*) » sudo i2cdetect -y 1                                         ubuntu@strong-selfo
     0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  a  b  c  d  e  f
00:                         -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
10: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
20: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
30: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
40: 40 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
50: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
60: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
70: 70 -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Probable note: if you did merge the device-tree, post reboot, the i2c interface numbers will swap, so one should use index 0 (zero) to interact with it. (the one the used to be 0, is now 1). there are numerous posts about that swap.

Thanks @Luke and team. (I see you responded to @butonic .

Last request, I’d like to understand the difference between I2C AO and EE, but was not able to find something that I can actually make sense of, can someone provide a useful link?"

To which Luke Lu replied:

“re AO vs EE, generally speaking, the AO means power always-on, so devices in this domain is accessible by power management auxiliary processor (a Cortex-m or riscv processor?) even during suspend or power off mode…”

Libre Computer provided this link to the mainline support status/progress of A311D hardware features:
https://linux-meson.com/hardware.html#support-matrix

Latest video featuring Libre Computer and their Alta SBC at Embedded World 24 - and the pi-top gets a mention!
Interesting to note that Da Xue, Libre Computer’s Chief Product Officer, mentions their quality testing and validation suite is proprietary…I wonder whether it will move to being open source-based in future.
N.B. The description beneath the video was LLM-generated by ChatGPT and a warning that the constant changing of angle around Charbax’s camera gimbal may make you feel nauseous!

Random USB disconnect issues should be fixed soon, according to Libre Computer in their forum:
“We plan to fix this by the time we roll out Linux 6.6 soon.”

Wes Payne, a co-host at Jupiter Broadcasting, recently gave a presentation on NixOS Anywhere at LinuxFest Northwest where he converted an Ubuntu system to NixOS…very cool!