[Bug Report : Resolved] Reinstalled RaspbianOS, now no display

Just installed Raspbian. Was in the process of updating everything. On my last update, I rebooted and now… Nothing. have to VNC in to troubleshoot, but it’s kind of a pain considering I have to connect a USB-C to A connector to hookup my keyboard and mouse to my phone and read everything on a tiny little screen :joy:

Anyways, don’t know where to go from here. Tried making adjustments to HDMI settings in /boot/config.txt

Any thoughts?

Aaaaaand, nevermind. I was an idiot when reinstalling the packages. I like to play on the edge and have been using rpi-update to play with the 64-bit version and forgot to add arm_64bit=1 to /boot/config.txt under [pi4]

All good in the hood over here haha

Really can’t wait for an official stable release of a 64 bit :slight_smile: but that will take time for the support to be there from vendors etc, tbh I am surprised 64bit is not a requirement these days, more and more companies are adopting it and starting to drop 32bit.

I understand that not all industries can just switch, if arm takes over and replaces x86 then that’s going to basically force the hand tho.

Wonder if the next Raspberry Pi will be 64 bit only

1 Like

I know, I really can’t wait for the official support either. And I’ve also been thinking that it looks like ARM is going for the throat. Now that compilers can do all the optimization, it won’t be too long before someone starts putting in a self modifying compiler of sorts for programs to optimize themselves for a given hardware configuration and ARM and RISC is making that possible.

The biggest thing that was going for x86 was human readable machine code and being able to use instructions that were easy to tell what they were doing. With RISC machines though, your multiplication instructions may take dozens of steps but completes one instruction per clock cycle, vs one instructions taking multiple machine cycles per instruction. So when you have something that performs many instructions, it has to do all of those, regardless if certain parts of the instruction’s results get thrown away, but with RISC and ARM optimizations, you can leave the unnecessary instructions/results out at compile time.

Once ARM and RISC machines can operate at the same speeds and can pipeline the same ways, etc, I really do think they will take over the industry and x86 will become obsolete. My pi-top has become my daily driver for productivity now. I use my tower for games and more graphics intensive applications but that is only a handful of times a week now.

1 Like

personally i use my PC mainly due to screen resolution, color accurate work with photography and conveniency, i mostly remote SSH on VS code. to my Xavier, pi-top or 2 other raspberry pi 4s or 2 rpi 3’s. i have recently installed Ubuntu on my Razer Blade and seem to be using that more than the PC due to gaming industry going though a strange phase at the moment

2 Likes