Further experience with AlexRobot code extremly slow when using FHD display & BT keyboard

Hi,
I reported this problem already within another topic, so sorry but since there was no update for quite some time I’m trying it again now. I admit I reported that issue not stand alone but in a topic mainly opened for another problem, so maybe you might have the impression it was fixed together with the other thing - but unfortunately that is not the case, therefore I’m bringing it up to your attention again.

When trying to do the Alex Robot Further challenges (e.g. the very first alex.calibrate step) with the FHD & BT keyboard connected through the special green USB cable, the problem is that once I try to execute the example code there everything gets practically stuck and unusable. The responce time on touch pad or keyboard actions goes up to several seconds per movement/key stroke - so it really becomes imposible to continue that way. Til now I’m seeing that behavior only when using the AlexRobot code, so is there possibly some internal hardware conflict somehow disturbing the communication between the pi-top4 and the display/keyboard combination(?).
It works when using a VNC connection via WIFI - but I would really like to use the nice display and keyboard for it instead of running a seperate laptop just acting as display.
Am I the only one having that issue, or is there anything I can try to fix it?
Please help.

Regards,
Michael

Hi Michael.

I tried the Further challenges for the calibration steps with the pi-top display and keyboard connected and don’t have any issues.

The same settings in Further is what you are using whether via VNC on another system or directly with the pi-top[4] connected to the display and keyboard? Seems really strange behavior and I tried different settings to connect to the pi-top[4] to try and replicate what you’re experiencing.

– Tom-B

@mk578 I discovered this problem too, it has to do with old EEPROM firmware on the Raspberry Pi causing problems with USB devices. You can follow this tutorial to update it whilst still retaining the custom settings that the pi-top needs for power management - let me know how you get on :+1:

2 Likes