German Keyboard

As far as I know there is no German Version of the pi-top [4] Bluetooth Keyboard. I hope there will be one in the Future.

The problem with the US keyboard are the missing German characters like üöäß. When I switch it to German via the settings in the menu then I get the German characters but I loose the ><| characters because the character “y” uses this key on a German Keyboard.

I could not find these - for Python programs - essential characters ><| via any key combination.

Please let me know if there is any solution for this.
Martin Klein

i am using this … https://www.berrybase.de/raspberry-pi/raspberry-pi-computer/eingabegeraete/mini-funk-tastatur-mit-touchpad-beleuchtung-schwarz-de-layout?c=321
… it has got everything you are looking for

Thanks but I want to use the pi-top keyboard since it covers the screen nicely when closed.

My solution was now to install autokey via
sudo apt install autokey-gtk
and define 3 simple phrases to insert the < character when I press ++l (like “lower than”) or insert the > character when I press ++g (like “greater than”) or insert the | character when I press ++p (like “pipe”).

I typed all the above text now on the pi-top keyboard with german local to show that it works !

Regards Martin

1 Like