Grove/STEMMA/STEMMA QT/Qwiic/Gravity

So i have been doing a little reading up on the different common connections surrounding the Raspberry Pi because if your not aware it can become a little confusing, I got confused which got me to look around for answers. Please note that manufacture part numbers need some verification

Who uses these connections:-

• Grove - SeeedStudio
  • STEMMA - Adafruit
  • STEMMA QT - Adafruit
  • Gravity - DFRobot
  • Qwiic - Sparkfun

STEMMA
STEMMA, a.k.a 3 and 4 pin JST PH Connector is Adafruits way of making it easy to plug and play different sensors and devices with little wiring.

• STEMMA 4 Pin JST PH - These are a 2mm pitch connector and they are used for I2C use

• STEMMA 3 Pin JST PH - These are a 2mm pitch connector and are used for PWM, analogue and Digital use

Part Numbers (need verification)
STEMMA 4 Pin

• PCB Straight - B4B-PH-K-S
  • PCB Right Angle - S4B-PH-K-S
  • Cable connector - PHR-3

STEMMA 3 Pin

• PCB Straight - B3B-PH-K-S
  • PCB Right Angle - S3B-PH-K-S
  • Cable connector - PHR-4

STEMMA QT

STEMMA QT (‘cutie’ as adafruit calls it) is a 1mm pitch JST SH connector and is for only I2C devices. you will find these on smaller devices where a 2mm STEMMA connection is not possible to be used.

It is cross compatible with SparkFun’s Qwiic connector

STEMMA QT devices keep the level shifting/regulator, so you can use STEMMA QT with Grove/Gravity/STEMMA/Qwiic controllers at any voltage range, safely –Adafruit website

• PCB 4 pin connector Straight - BM04B-SRSS-TB
  • PCB 4 pin connector Right Angle - SM04B-SRSS-TB
  • Cable 4 pin connector - SHR-04V-S (really not sure about this)

Gravity
Gravity connectors 2mm pitch and are used by DFRobot, They use a PHR-2, PHR-3 and PHR-4 JST connector and to be honest, i dont know much about them. I do know that you can buy them on dfrobot.com

• PCB 2 pin connector - B2B-PH-K-S
  • Cable 2 pin connector - PHR-2
  • PCB 3 pin connector - B3B-PH-K-S
  • Cable 3 pin connector - PHR-3
  • PCB 4 pin connector - B4B-PH-K-S
  • Cable 4 pin connector - PHR-4

Qwiic
There is only 1 type for Qwiic JST SH-4 and is cross compatible with STEMMA QT as it uses the same connector. Qwiic is only ever used for I2C devices by SparkFun.

Little note: Qwiic only has level shifting and voltage regulation on the controller, not devices unlike STEMMA QT devices has the voltage regulator on the device so if you use Qwiic device with STEMMA QT just check voltages before hand. The opposite is different

• PCB 4 pin connector Straight - BM04B-SRSS-TB
  • PCB 4 pin connector Right Angle - SM04B-SRSS-TB
  • Cable 4 pin connector - SHR-04V-S (really not sure about this)

Grove
Grove connectors are a propriety connector by Seeed Studio that is used for all their devices, pi-top also uses the connector on the foundation plate and robotics expansion plate as well. the Grove connector is a 4 pin connector with a 2mm pitch.

Seeed Studio does sell them directly

part numbers
cant find a spesific part number, they have multiple SKU for DIP and SMD, you can find the information here

https://www.seeedstudio.com/Grove-Universal-4-pin-connector.html

3 Likes

Thanks for this information, I had to look-up each of these online; some I never heard of.
Good information I ‘squirreled’ away for future use and projects.

@CAProjects thanks for this, I agree it can be pretty confusing with all the different standards out there! Glad we’ve got this reference for future :+1:

If anyone needs Grove-style connectors, we can supply them :slightly_smiling_face: