I am frustrated with it. where is the support for older devices?

Hello guys …

I currently wanted to reuse my old pi-top (v1) with my rpi-3b+

the installation is just not possible.
Using the guide from the Knowledge Base (https://knowledgebase.pi-top.com/knowledge/pi-top-and-raspberry-pi-os) … the installation won’t finish under raspbian, dietpi or kalipi or the repo is wrongly described (some distros show “Skipping acquire of configured file ‘main/binary-arm64/Packages’ as repository ‘http://apt.pi-top.com/pi-top-os sirius InRelease’ doesn’t support architecture ‘arm64’”) the old setup scripts are all gone from github, the device manager is gone from github … why?
I really don’t want to use the bloated sirius os or use it and have the hassel to remove 90% of the prepacked stuff.

Is there any way to get the old setup scripts / repos?

Greets, gojirrrra

Hi @gojirrrra, we’ve been re-organizing our Github repos recently to consolidate it so it’s easier to open source as much of it as possible - it’s possible what you’re looking for has moved or changed in some way - I’ll ask the software team to look into this for you :+1:

1 Like

Hi @gojirrrra,

The instructions work fine on Raspberry Pi OS (32 bit), and should also work on any other 32-bit derivatives, though other OSes are not “officially” supported.

It appears that you are trying to install packages onto arm64, which is also not currently supported. We hope to add support for this in the near future, but we have no timeframe for that.

Unfortunately, any old scripts/repos are deprecated in favour of the information provided on the knowledge base - however, we are continually working to get our OS codebase audited and made publicly available in our GitHub repository.

If you are having trouble following the instructions on 32-bit Raspberry Pi OS, please post the output here - I would love to help you get the issue resolved!

2 Likes

Hi @duwudi & @pi-topMIKE

thanks for the very fast response.

Well, yeah, i get it that you want to have everything up-to-date and in favour of the knowledge base … i still would like to have the access to old scripts … maybe just marked as deprecated.
Or maybe its an idea to give tinkerers like me a barebone os … something like solaris os light with full hardware support but no preinstalled software …
But i am probably part of a very small userbase demanding that.

But hey, it is what it is. Thanks for the good input,
I will try it later and give you a response how it worked.

gojirrrra.

Hey guys, here is the update.

Clean new installation of Raspi Buster (32 bit this time) with my beloved i3wm.
Repos added without a problem, installation without a problem.

Startup had problems because ‘pi-top’ demanded opencv … so i installed opencv-python via pip and also a bunch of demanded libraries for it via apt.
Thats a thing i think should not be needed, but okay.

I finally can read and control the brightness via ‘pi-top display brightness’, fantastic, now i should be able to configure my hotkeys for that …

But … when running ‘pi-top battery’ i dont get the correct values, charging State, capacity, etc. gives me a value of ‘-1’.
Thats strange, the battery seems totally fine after i measured it, looks like that the script cant communicate correctly with the pi-top hub mk1.

Any input on that?

Thanks, gojirrrra

Startup had problems because ‘pi-top’ demanded opencv … so i installed opencv-python via pip and also a bunch of demanded libraries for it via apt.

This sounds like a bug! I have raised an Issue for it on the SDK repository.

But … when running ‘pi-top battery’ i dont get the correct values, charging State, capacity, etc. gives me a value of ‘-1’.
Thats strange, the battery seems totally fine after i measured it, looks like that the script cant communicate correctly with the pi-top hub mk1.

What do you get when you run journalctl -u pt-device-manager -b? This should show the logs of the device manager for your current session. Is your pi-top device being detected correctly?