Is there still a way to install pi-topPOLARIS on my pi-top 3

I would like to use pi-topPOLARIS with my pi-top 3 but I can’t seem to find the download. Could someone help me. Thanks

1 Like

I ran into the same problem so I imaged my old SD card.
I have a couple of old images of POLARIS saved from SD card if you want to try them.

That would be great.

Just to give some information on this-

We are no longer updating Polaris, as we wanted to put all of our software resources behind Sirius and Further. Because we aren’t able to support the old OS, we stopped offering it as a download. We encourage everyone to move to Sirius.

Of course, if you want to use Polaris you are absolutely free to do so- I know a lot of people keep it because of CEED Universe, for example. Just remember that for the time being we aren’t able to support it or update it.

I think it’s still available through PINN NOOBS if you’re willing to set that up? It’s not difficult and there are some very handy videos on YT demonstrating how to go about it, including on USB mass storage devices (rather than μSD cards).

Having said that, I don’t seem to be having much luck with fresh installs (my old one is still going though). It goes through the following:
image image image

Then displays the PolarisOS logo, followed by the pi-top stencil-like logo (unfortunately I didn’t take photos of those as I figured it was going to launch correctly), but then returns to the above image and adds a message about wi-fi country:

The screen then stays there. Then, if I hold down the pi-top’s power button to shut down, restart and try to relaunch “pi-top OS” from the PINN launch menu, it goes to Kernel panic.
So not sure what to do about that.

However, I have just come across this site: https://archive.org/details/pi-topOS-2018-07-09 - is anyone able to confirm the authenticity (and malware-free nature) of what’s available to download there?

Hey there, as for your question about that link, it very much so works. i used it lastnight and my PiTop was working again with CEED Universe. although i feel like either the game crashed he laptop or the laptop started to overheat.

1 Like

Glad to hear it - thanks for checking that out and reporting back! Yeah I had a similar issue with CEED Universe, where did yours crash? Looking forward to the pi-top team finally open sourcing this neat game!