Keyboard Layout

Does anyone know if it is possible to change the keyboard mapping so that the ‘< >’ button (button to the right of the shift key) act as a redundant shift key. It’s really difficult getting used to that short shift key.

1 Like

Hi @moose_boogle, try these links:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6907

This one is a little old but seems to correlate with the below reference:

https://wiki.debian.org/Keyboard

Let me know how it goes!

1 Like

Will do. Thank you for providing the links.

One of the cool things about Linux is that everything about the computer is represented in the file system somewhere. This includes what keys do what. A little disclaimer here: This involves editing a system file, so be careful! Start by navigating to the folder with the keyboard mappings:

cd /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/

and then type ls to have a look around. The file that we’re concerned with is “pc”. But wait, don’t edit it yet! let’s make a backup of it first just in case things get screwed up:

sudo cp pc pc.bak

Now let’s open the file in an editor and remap that key. Most people use nano, but c’mon people, it’s the 21st century:

sudo mousepad pc

Now that you’ve got it open, notice the 6th and 7th lines contain our target: “The extra key on many European keyboards”. Now replace all of its original mappings with the only thing you want it to do.

Before: key <LSGT> { [ less, greater, bar, brokenbar ] };
After: key <LSGT> { [ Shift_L, Shift_L, Shift_L, Shift_L ] };

If you look further down the list, you’ll see that you can just copy and paste from the functionality of the actual left shift key.

Finally, restart your computer in order for the change to take effect.

I did this on my own pi-top[3], and am pleased to report that it works. Thank you for posting this question, since it inspired my to finally figure out how to do it!

1 Like

Thanks animal.

Sorry for bumping an ancient thread, but this key placement was doing my head in! As a new owner of the classic Pi-Top[3] inventor’s kit, (Arrived this Monday) this one particular key placement was really starting to annoy me. Honestly who puts the <> key where a shift extension should be! Even my old EEEPC didn’t have this quirk!

1 Like