Pi-Top [4] Spares - Batteries

Is there a topic to discuss / order Pi-Top [4] Spares? My Pi-Top has been on, more or less constantly for 2 years and the battery is “dying” - now only charges to 34%. … should I replace it, if so with what and how to order?

Thx

Hi @nannerbm60,
We don’t currently offer spare battery parts but we can talk about it. Since you’re abroad, we’ll have to discuss a way to ship it out to you. I’ll contact you by email and we can talk about it further

-Rez

@nannerbm60 has it been on and plugged in for 2 years or do you frequently charge and discharge it?

@duwudi - It has indeed been “plugged in” for roughly the whole time. … It might be a bit shorter than that … It was in use from the month that the displays and keyboards reached Australia

It did raise a question in my mind of when it was first “built” … I hunted and could not easily find a first date because I have had it booting from an USB SSD since whatever version of the OS allowed that - and the last time it was “off” for any length of time was when I replaced the fan … I probably should have thought the battery life issue through …

Any way to recover it? Or should I just let it bleed out?

Thx

@nannerbm60 In general it’s good to cycle the battery every now and then as it’s used for recalibration of the capacity readings - you could try letting it run down and then charging it again to see if it makes any difference

Judging by the thread here it looks as if the battery cannot be replaced, which is an annoyance.

I can’t find any support material to resolve this. The device did not get past 20% or so recently and now will not start. I’ve removed the Pi 4 front the Top and that works fine, it’s just the base unit which is causing the issues.

Any advice gratefully appreciated.

Kev

Hi -

I can’t quite understand what you have tried from your question … you wrote “removed the Pi 4 front the Top and that works fine” … “front” - … do you mean “from” … what do you consider to be the “base unit” to be?

My Pi-Top runs with the battery permanently at 0% … It is an issue when the power goes off - which is a pest. … The USB - Power cord is loose, but that is just a matter of not moving it! That works for my application (as a UniFi controller) … but maybe not for everyone

Hi,
In order to use a Pi 4B in the Pi-Top a cover has to be removed from the Pi-Top leaving the remainder of the unit, which I referred to as the base unit. That is accessible and was part of the remit for adding a Pi to the DIY Pi-Top. The Pi4B works perfectly fine isolated from the PiTop.

All I want to do is replace the battery that appears fault but there does not appear to a feasible solution to access the existing battery. If this is not user replaceable then I will chalk this up as a lesson learned and seek alternative solutions to running a battery based Pi.

I can’t quite understand what you have tried from your question … you wrote “removed the Pi 4 front the Top and that works fine” … “front” - … do you mean “from” … what do you consider to be the “base unit” to be?

I, too, have a Pi-Top [4] w/dead (really most sincerely dead) battery. It will only power up when the base plate (robot) is detached. 0% charge, but indicates charging. Is it true the battery is not user-replaceable? If it is, where can I buy one. If not, can I have it replaced if I send it in?

JimT

Unfortunately the manufacturer isn’t too forthcoming with a resolution. They asked if my device was under warranty, it isn’t. That’s the last I heard from them!