Raspberry Pi 4 + pi-top1/pi-topCEED

This is a question we get the most often through the support tickets. When the Pi foundation brought out the Raspberry Pi 4, they swapped one of the Dual Stack USBs and the ethernet port, which allowed them to add USB 3.0 but limited us.

We’ve had users send us messages on social media show how they’ve got their pi-top1 and pi-topCEED working with the Raspberry Pi 4 (Kudos to the maker community for being awesome as always :raised_hands:t4: ). They’ve usually backpowerd the Raspberry Pi through their 40pin connector and then grabbed a microHDMI - HDMI adapter et voila!

The pi-top[3] unfortuantely has some mechanical issues, the HDMI port gets in the way of connecting a microHDMI device through to the pi-top Hub and the Ethernet port gets in the way of connecting the USB ports to our keyboard and internal USB Port. All of this means we would need to do a redesign of our pi-top [3] Hardware which costs a lot of money. We’re aware of how frustarting this is for those of you that helped support us during the pi-top[3] days. Though for the moment, the Raspberry Pi 4 cannot go into the pi-top[3].

Here’s one of our community members from Twitter that managed to get a Raspberry Pi 4 inside the pi-topCEED and it looks awesome!
download

3 Likes

I have an early generation Pi-Top CEED. I was a crowd funder. I had forgotten that the native resolution on these units is 1366x768.Support kindly reminded me of that fact.

In order to get Pi-TopOS working I had to do 2 things:

1. In /boot/config.txt, add the following line:

hdmi_cvt=1366 768 60 3 0 0 1

1. The HDMI needs to be plugged into the connector farthest connector from the power supply connector. Pi-Top OS has that port labeled as HDMI-1 and the near port as HDMI-2.
1 Like

I am occasionally having trouble with the screen defaulting back to 1920x1080 and not coming up, but I can change that by going in through VNC and changing it in screen settings. I’ll update if I have any more permanent fixes.

I disabled VNC and I am no longer having any problems. I tried a bunch of settings and could not get VNC to respect a resolution of 1366x768 so I sent it packing.

I’ve also picked up this connector for HDMI: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EQC3464/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have a pi-top v1. Wouldn’t it be easier to just swap out the supplied hdmi to hdmi cable with a 25cm hdmi to micro hdmi cable and similarly swap the USB to micro usb cable with a usb A to usb C cable? Then you don’t have to bother back powering the pi and you avoid having to use adapters (space saving).

Loaded the pi-topos onto another pi4 and it worked immediately. Didn’t try it with the pi-top’s keyboard and screen but assume it should play together nicely. So I’m not sure why I need to go the VNC route or am I missing something?

Thanks

Do you know what OS was being used here?

I’m trying to connect a Pi-Top Ceed with a Pi4.

PiTop Bullseye won’t load anything on the screen!

I randomly had a brand new and boxed Noobs SD card which loaded just like in the image. I tried to install pt-devices and the sd card would not load on the CEEd - no display and a bleep from the speakers!

I then installed the latest 64bit RasberryPi OS and that loads in a really strange angled display which you can’t even see properly.

Any idea what’s happening? What the standard noobs SD install to at least get me running again? Why would installing pt-devices brick the sd card from booting with the CEED?

Any help appreciated
Chris

For people and companies looking to improve their social media presence in the Indian market, in particular, a https://smmpakpanel.com/ is a useful tool. For users aiming for the Indian market, this kind of panel offers customised features like likes, follows, and comments. It makes managing social media strategy easier and provides a practical way to maximise digital marketing efforts in the dynamic and varied social media environment of India.

RE the strange angled display, if you search for “diagonal”, or “wonky”, or “skew”, or similar in this forum, as well as in the OpenSUSE forum, you should come across the config file fix for this.