Raspberry Pi Pico Discussion

2 Likes

This is a great breakdown @CAProjects, thanks for taking the time to write it all out!

That’s especially good to know about what languages are better to use it with - I’ve not touched MicroPython before, and to be honest I’m not sure I would. I’ve done lots of work on embedded applications over the years and it’s always been with C, so that’s my go-to language for anything this close to the metal.

That being said, I was very surprised to read what you said about not being great for timing-critical stuff! I had fully expected/hoped that the pico would be free of the chaos of multi-threaded interrupts that makes precise timing so shakey on the Raspberry Pi, but I guess since it’s got a multicore/thread architecture we can’t expect that. Which is a shame, because there’s all sorts of timer and bit-banging applications that might need it. But on the plus side, with the built in comms peripherals and a DMA, I’m hoping most of the timing-critical stuff can be handled by dedicated hardware.

Something I’d love to do with the pico and a pi-top would be to use the pi-top as the ‘brain’ in a semi-autonomous vehicle, and have a small battery powered pico-based device used as a controller, perhaps with a small 4" touchscreen or something. It feels like we’d be getting the best of both worlds!

2 Likes

Thats all built in but what I was talking about is the time it takes to execute and complete a task. The pico is about 80ms where ESP is 2-3ms.

I seen a video about it and will post it when home which will put better context to it

Something I can do in my project :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Yes please! Definitely let me know if there’s anything I can do to help make that a reality, I would absolutely LOVE to see that!

3 Likes

@wil found the video, and the comparisons where

There is a little flaw with this, he is using a Pico with MicroPython and Arduinos with C++ which i didnt realise when i was watching it, well mostly listening

3 Likes

Novaspirit Tech has been doing some interesting stuff with the Pico, here is his playlist

2 Likes

Tiny 2040 - The postage stamp sized Pico

The main difference is it has 6Mbyte more than the Raspberry Pi Pico AND has a reset button AND is USB-C AND the LED is RGB. It does use the same cpu. but man, they crammed all that in to a mirocontroller that small

The catch is that its more than 2x the price of the Pico

2 Likes

That’s really cool, I guess you also get less access to pins too?

Ya do but some how they manage to give you just as much at the same time

1 Like

Mini 2MP SPI Camera Module for Raspberry Pi Pico

1 Like

Raspberry Pi Pico Webserver project :o

https://github.com/s60sc/PicoWebServer

@CAProjects yeah I saw this recently, pretty impressive! Haven’t seen that camera module before though - what’s the max frame rate?

It does not say, it’s by arducam and they have no specified

So I got another 3 pico delivered today as well as the Tiny 2040 too along with a bunch of sensors for the weather station project :slight_smile: just need to get the Amphenol mezzanine connector thing at some point to do the wake up the pi-top thing and do data transfer too

1 Like

@CAProjects you move at a crazy pace with these projects, keep it up as it’s awesome to see and hear about all the cool stuff you’re getting to work on! :+1:

lego case for the Raspberry Pi Pico

https://www.robmiles.com/journal/2021/2/26/raspberry-pi-pico-cases-at-adafruit

RPi pico overclocking

1 Like

I enjoyed your video - very good.
By chance did you record the temperature increase while making the changes?

It’s not my video, I’m just posting the interesting information on the pico.

I really like the testing process if the person that made the video tho

The Feather RP2040 has now being released

https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/adafruit-feather-rp2040

cdn-learn_adafruit_com-RP2040Pinout

The issues i have with this board is that there is only official support for CircuitPython which means you cannot even use both cores and no timeframe on when that will be added, same with asyncio and other built in features that MicroPython supports. This is one issue i have with Adafruit stuff, if you want support, your going to have to add it or wait, and using thier products on full python, you have to use thier blanka library as they refuse outright to natively support the full python or you can convert the libraries if your up for that chalange.

while its based on the RP2040, they have made some changes that makes coding even in C/C++ dificult because of lack of official support.

I will buy it but dont think i will ever use it