TensorFlow installation on Pi-Top[4]

Hi all,

I recently upgraded my Python installation (Pi-Top[4]) and then went on to attempt an installation of TensorFlow (numerous online sources were attempted). Although it appears that everything was installed correctly I’m unable to execute the simplest of online examples.

Has anyone here installed and used TensorFlow (or similar) as I’d really like to get the USB camera (part of the robotics kit) doing something a bit more interesting.

Many thanks,
Robert

1 Like

Welcome to the forums Robert!

I haven’t done any work with tensors on the pi-top yet, but someone who may have an idea of how to get it working is either @CAProjects or @pi-topMIKE.

@CAProjects has extensive knowledge and experience with python and @pi-topMIKE (correct me if I’m wrong) is the software engineer for pi-topOS.

Some information I’d recommend you include would be what exactly it’s doing. If you get any errors in the console when trying to run the example, copy and paste the error text in a new reply (that way we can get notified when you respond.) And if you can copy your python log as well for the errors specific to what’s going on, those are all great starting points! :wink:

2 Likes

Knowing more about what exactly you’ve tried and are seeing would be very helpful.

I haven’t tried to do this myself, but I would be seeking out a solution where somebody else has pre-packaged it somehow. You can usually find pre-compiled stuff available for Docker, or as binaries hosted on blogs/GitHub repositories. Beyond that, I’d have to actually try it to give more information!

1 Like

@redhowe have you tried TensorFlow Lite? I just followed this tutorial and got it working. The examples they show work with the RPi camera so I used that for testing although my pi-top just keeps seeing “velvet” apparently :laughing:, it also tells me what it sees using text-to-speech which is a nice touch.

If you follow the install steps and make your own examples using the pi-top camera instead it should work.

3 Likes

Welcome to the Forums redhowe!!

2 Likes

Personally I have not done anything with tensorflow on the raspberry pi, only tried the nVidia demos on the Xavier NX which has all their pre-installed

2 Likes