The pi-top [4] PMA Connector

Here’s the pinout for the PMA Connector and the Pogo Pins. You may hear us sometimes call it the Modular Connector. This is Modular Connector is doing a lot of work and has a whole host of connections running through it. Just follow the key and you should be okay. The Plug is mounted inside the pi-top [4] but all our plates use the receptacle.

It’s a 100 pin connector (50x2) with a 0.80 mm pitch. The manufacturer is Amphenol and the recpt part number is 10144517-10XXXXXX while the plug part number is 10144518-10XXXXXX.

We recommend downloading the image so you can see all the definitions!

Power Pins
Name Function Voltage (Volts) Max Current (Amps) Descriptions
VSYS_OUT Power Out 6.4 - 8, 12, 15 3 Outputs System Voltage. If using Battery power then 6.4 - 8.4Volts. If using USB-C Power 12 or 15 Volts. Max output is 3A. Fuse protected
MPWR_IN Power In 9 - 14 3 Input to System Voltage. Lower priority to USB-C PSU. Higher priority to battery power. Can be used to charge battery pack. Fuse Protected
5V_USB Power Out 5 0.6 Direct from Raspberry Pi USB Port
5V_PRST Power Out 5 0.75 Available when device is powered off. Turns off when battery power dips below 5%. Fuse protected
5V Power Out 5 3.5 Shares same source as 5V from 40pin connector and pogo pins but separate to 5V supplied to Raspberry Pi. Fuse protected
3V3_PRST Power Out 3.3 0.15 Available when device is powered off. Turns off when battery power dips below 5%. Fuse Protected
3V3 Power Out 3.3 1.5 Shares same source as 3V3 from 40pin connector. Fuse protected
Data Pins
Name Function Description
GPIO_XX I/O GPIOs tied directly to Raspberry Pi. ESD Protected. Direct connection between the 40pin connector and the PMA Connector
MCU_RESET Input External Reset to pi-topHub MCU. (Connect to GND to reset)
MCU_SWDIO I/O MCU Serial Wire Data Input/Output
MCU_SWCLK I/O MCU Serial Data Clock
PWR_SW Input Tied to device power switch. High to turn on. Logic High @ 2.2V
USB_DX Data USB data pair from USB-Hub Controller on pi-top Hub
DSI_XX Data Display Serial Interface from Raspberry Pi
CSI_XX Data Camera Serial Interface from Raspberry Pi
MIPI_SXX I2C MIPI I2C from Camera/Display Serial Interface from Raspberry Pi

All pins marked N/C are not electrically connected.

I’m using a Pi-top 4 for an escape room project and the foundation plate is an amazin upgrade in wiring and clean outlook. But I find myself needing to plug 8 Leds (only 1 will be active at a time, so I have to worries about power) and 8 buttons.
Is there any way I can use the 2 data pins in 1 port separately?
Since I need to extend the wires anyway, my first idea would be duplicating GND and 3V and using the data wires separately…is this a stupid idea?

Thank you in advance

Hi @javibeltran, sorry for the late reply - I missed this somehow.

This is perfectly possible to do yes - there are two GPIO pins per port so splitting them will work fine. Our SDK doesn’t provide an easy way to use the extra pin in a port on a different component, especially as we’ve just added a port manager that will only allow one component to be on each port - I will create some tickets to look into making this possible in future though as I think it would be a great addition!.

However, if you look at our SDK for the LED, you’ll notice it’s mostly just using GPIOZero anyway. Therefore, the easiest thing to do is write your program with GPIOZero and map the pins directly - you can find a list of the port to pin mappings here (or on the bottom of the Foundation Plate!)

Let me know if you need any further help!

Ooh, Awesome! Thanks for the bump. I’ll bookmark this for future use :slight_smile:

1 Like