Could Someone Give me Advice on Optimizing Pi-Top for Programming Projects?

Hello there,

I am new to the Pi-Top ecosystem and am excited to dive into using it for my programming projects. I recently purchased a Pi-Top, and I am keen to make the most out of it for various programming tasks, including Python development; basic robotics; and possibly some web development.

Given that I am still in the early stages of setting up my Pi-Top; I wanted to reach out to the community for some advice on optimizing it for these tasks.

What are the essential software tools or packages that you recommend for programming on the Pi-Top? Are there any specific IDEs or code editors that work particularly well? :thinking:

How can I ensure that the Pi-Top runs smoothly while handling multiple programming tasks? Are there any tweaks or settings I should adjust to enhance performance? :thinking:

Are there particular peripherals that integrate seamlessly with the Pi-Top? Any recommendations on hardware that could improve the overall experience? :thinking:

Also, I have gone through this post; https://forum.pi-top.com/t/is-there-a-way-to-pull-the-pi-top-further-python-code-uipath/ which definitely helped me out a lot.

Are there any notable projects or resources within the Pi Top community that I should check out for inspiration or learning?

Thank you in advance for your help and assistance. :innocent:

Hi @Elizashahh,

Welcome to the pi-top community! Great choice - pi-top is a versatile tool that can support a huge range of projects.

For programming, I recommend starting with the Further platform, which includes a built-in IDE and offers a variety of learning resources and projects. Mu is another excellent option for beginners due to its simplicity. For more advanced coding, you can install Visual Studio Code on the pi-top. Its remote capabilities allow you to use it with another computer, which can be helpful for performance and ease of use.

Performance-wise, pi-top should run smoothly with most tasks right out of the box, especially with the built-in cooling system. Keeping your pi-topOS up to date will help ensure optimal performance.

For hardware, our official Electronics Kit and Robotics Kit are excellent for expanding your projects. Additionally, Seeed Studio’s Grove sensors are compatible and can offer more functionality.

Since you found that previous post helpful, you might also benefit from our course on loading projects to the miniscreen on the Further platform. It includes relevant tips and examples to help you get the most out of your Pi-Top. The Further platform also has many other resources and projects (some paid) that you might find useful.

I know you were looking for community input, but I wanted to step in and provide some guidance as a pi-top team member. Our community is great, and I’m sure you’ll hear from them soon too. In the meantime, feel free to reach out with more questions—happy to help!