Pi-top[4] Firmware update

I got a prompt that a pi-top[4] firmware update was available, so I clicked “Update Now”, but no further indication to show that a firmware update was in progress.

1. How can you check firmware?
  2. How does one now if the firmware update is occurring at all if there’s no indication on-screen or on the pi-top[4]?

It’s kinda mysterious to click that you would like the firmware update but have no clear way of knowing what’s going on. Typically, if one would stop a firmware update mid-process, it could cause issues with hardware. It would be better to have a progress bar or indication in some way that a firmware update in actually taking place.

No place in the Knowledge base have I been able to find information on how to check firmware on a pi-top[4].

Hi @Tom-B - I’ve just been down this road with the same lack of response and “fixed it” - following the bootloader and firmware updates in …

@nannerbm60 – Thank you. However, this seems like a lot of information for updating the firmware in the pi-top[4]. Does it just mean that the EEPROM needs an update (I did one update when I first go the DIY Pi-top[4] and added my own RPi-4.

This is just a lot of information when I was just wondering why when I click “Update Now” for the firmware update and nothing else happens.

Anyway, thanks again. Not sure I follow how one applies to the other.

@Tom-B - My experience (of the firmware not updating on mouse click) was fixed by updating the bootloader (which is the same first steps as the USB post.)

I suggest: In terminal enter vcgencmd bootloader_version and if the date is Sept 3rd 2020 then you are on the latest version of everything …

and my “update firmware” now works on mouse click after updating the bootloader etc

Gotcha. Thank you for the clarification. Makes sense now.

My bootloader is already dated Sept 3, 2020, but I then tried updating the firmware again for giggles and this time it worked just fine. :slight_smile: Not sure why it failed the previous several times I tried. ¯\ _ (ツ) _ /¯