pi-topPULSE is not initialised

Hi,

I recently had need to rebuild one of my Raspberry Pis. It’s a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B running Raspian Buster. I reinstalled my pi-topPULSE, followed the installation instructions but when I try and run the demo code I get the following error:

sudo python3 led-demo.py
[19:24:58.502860 I] Error: pi-topPULSE is not initialised. Call ptpulse.configuration.initialise() ptpulse.configuration.enable_device()

Any help/ideas as to what the root cause may be, and next steps, would be appreciated.

Thxs,
Adrian

1 Like

I’ve got the same problem. The pulse works on my older Pi-top laptop (with a pi 3) but I’ve now connected it directly to the GPIO pins of a pi4 (not in the pi-top laptop) and I get this initialise error too.

Do the python libraries need updating by pi-top or will it not allow use because it’s not in a pi-top chasis??

thx,
Paul

Hey Paul,

Separately I’ve raised a question with support@pi-top.com and will update this thread when an underlying cause is found. I do wonder if I’d benefit from using an older version of Raspian. My previous setup used Jessie whilst the new setup is using Buster.

Thxs,
Adrian