Running Pi-Top[3] without a Pi

Hey everyone,

I recently bought a Pi-Top[3] in the clearance sale. I figured it would be a nice way to repurpose it as a secondary monitor. With a bit of HDMI cable management what’s the worst thing that can happen, right? :wink:
Turns out, this thing is designed to run with a Pi and not without it. I can’t really fault CEEED for it but there are a few things in this notebook that could be more hacker-friendly.

But …from what I can tell so far is that the GPIO connector is responsible for telling the pi-top controller board that there is a Pi at the other end and that it’s running. So it should be possible to fake a pi by connecting the right pins at the GPIO end of that connector.

And here is my question: Which ones? :slight_smile:

I know I can reverse engineer it with some time but asking for it might be faster. You could make an old hacker happy and put some life into old pi-top[3]s that could otherwise end up in a landfill.

Hi Misel,
We actually had someone else ask this a few years ago, you can find their forum post here.

I also did exactly what you’re suggesting a while ago with the pi-top CEED

I’m closing this topic, please use the original topic as the main discussion area.